December of 1993 I graduated with a business degree from Illinois State University. With a new sewing machine and serger as a graduation gift from my family I started a home based custom apparel business. In 1995, with the encouragement of my now husband, I created an 18 piece collection and held a private fashion show for the local women. This show is what really launched my career in custom couture and has now led to my recognition as a fashion and couture sewing expert nationwide.
Focusing on high-end women's custom apparel and then ultimately adding alterations, personal shopping, and wardrobe planning/consulting to the agenda not only allowed me to expand my clientele, but became a great source of additional income and experience. 2006 - I decided to make the move to a professional studio outside of the home. Spring of 2010, I collaborated with Michigan's Southwest Symphony on a fashion show fundraiser event. In front of a sold out crowd, I launched my first women's ready-to-wear line. I began selling my clothing line in my studio, online, and private trunk shows held at clients homes. My collection is now in a boutique in Saugatuck, Michigan.
· I currently write a monthly "Fashion and Trends" column for Patternreview.com
· July 2011 - "Fashion and Couture Sewing Expert" on a new PBS series "It's Sew Easy” - on 8 episodes
· May 2011 - Main Guest Speaker at Pattern Review's 10 year anniversary event
· May 2011 - Guest Speaker at the Summer Challenge Fishing Tournament
· April 15 - May 31, 2011 - Main Exhibit at the Box Factory for the Arts (large display of couture garments)
· April 2011 - Who's Who in Business on the Brenda Layne Radio show
· November 2010, one of 12 featured fashion designers in the Chicago Showcase, chaired by Mayor Daly
· Article in the Herald Palladuim
· August 2010 Cover of Great Lakes Angler Magazine (also fish professionally)
· Winner of the 2008 Passion for Fashion competition from American Sewing Expo
· Audience favorite of the 2007 Passion for Fashion competition from American Sewing Expo